7.28.2011

Nerd Alert

If you call me a nerd, I will not deny it. No shame. I'm a pop-culture junkie who will latch onto (almost) any craze I can that provides me the opportunity to attend a midnight movie premiere in costume or become a complete hermit who does nothing but read, eat, and sleep (sleeping optional, eating always a must).

THE EXCEPTIONS  (Not even worthy of photos. Psh.)

Star Trek. Because I'm a die-hard Star Wars fan and it's unethical to be equally attached to both, I'm wired to dislike this franchise. Plus Star Trek is just weird. Or rather, it looks weird from the cumulative 37 seconds of footage I've seen during my 22 years on this earth.
Super hero movies. I didn't see the Dark Knight until two years after it was released. I was underwhelmed. Cool, but I'd rather have Harry Potter. Thanks so much. Also, what is up with all these super hero movies involving the color green? Green Lantern. Green Hornet. I still don't care. And can we just get over this whole Spiderman thing? Tobey Maguire is like 84 now. Or maybe he's just 36. Still old.

THE OBSESSIONS

Harry Potter. Oh. My. Gosh. I'm hyperventilating slightly just at the thought. Look at those little faces that are now adults! Crazy that this franchise has been 10 years in the making. Actually, it's really longer since the books (which are obviously better than the movies) started way before the movies came about. I love the books a little more than the movies, but they're both great. Sometimes a girl doesn't have 30 hours to read an 800 page book, so a 2-hour movie suffices. I'll reread and rewatch until I'm old and gray. Then I'll make my grandkids read and watch with me. Completely in denial that this part of my childhood is over. Nooooooooo.


Twilight. For all of you who are rolling your eyes, allow me to remind you of my previous statement: no shame. I will be the first to admit that these books are not well written and the movies are even worse (you'd only need look at the below picture for proof of the hilarity). BUT. I just can't help myself. I'm like a moth to the flame, doomed to become addicted to anything that pegs me next to the maturity level of a 13-year-old. At least I'm not in denial of my ridiculousness. Yes you will see me in line at the midnight premiere of Breaking Dawn: Part 1 this fall.


Lord of the Rings. No, I have not read the books. But have I watched all the extended versions of the movies and driven through a blizzard just to watch the Two Towers the day it came out? Yes and Yes. I'm not the most hardcore of fans, but I bet I can quote more Samwise Gamgee lines than you.


Star Wars. Do I celebrate International Star Wars Day every May 4th (aka May the fourth be with you) by watching as many Star Wars movies as possible? You better believe it. AND I LOVE IT. I don't care what everyone else says, movies 1-3 are still awesome. Although clearly none of them can hold a candle to the originals, especially Return of the Jedi. My one complaint: what is Hayden Christensen doing with Yoda and Obi Won at the end of the latest DVD version of Return of the Jedi? Was he even alive when that movie was released in 1983? Answer: Google tells me our young Darth Vader was two years old at that time. Excuse me, George Lucas, you are not God.



Pirates of the Caribbean. I haven't seen the latest installment (it was really time to let the franchise go after #3--Orlando and Keira knew this), but I was in hardcore Pirates mania for the first three movies. Who knew a guy with eye make-up and no hygiene could send so many hearts pitter pattering?


And now, allow me to introduce you to MY LATEST OBSESSION

The Hunger Games. I'm telling you people, this is the next Twilight-esque phenomenon waiting to happen. Except it's slightly more intellectually stimulating than its vampire/werewolf predecessor. Although I must warn you, at times the female lead, Katniss (I agree--crap name choice), is almost as annoying as Bella Swan. Hopefully she'll be better cast than Kirsten Stewart. Shudder.

When the movie comes out this spring and there is mass hysteria, you will all say "Becky was right." Then you'll all either go see the movie (woot!) or start complaining about the lameness of the latest Twilight-y craze. Secretly you'll be insanely curious if you choose to be anti-Hunger Games, so save us both the trouble and go see the movie (but read the book first).


I do realize that all of this evidence puts me in the "acting my shoe size instead of my age" department. However, rather than calling myself immature I like to think of myself as someone who plans to retain my youthful energy and zest for life via pop culture obsessions...among other things. "Other things" such as the fact that I like to write original songs about food and my dog, find joy in making people dance to songs by acting out the words, and bargain for what I want by refusing to stop singing the theme song to "The Brady Bunch" until people bow to my wishes.

If you've read any of my past entries, surely you know I have no plans to be a total grown-up any time soon. I have the rest of my life to act like I have it all together. I'll save seriousness for the work place (for the most part...but I'm pretty sure my coworkers are on to my nerdiness). Rest assured, as soon as I leave the office nerdy Becky will show her face.

So, who's up for a Star Wars marathon?

***Special shout-out to my favorite nerd, Emma Sitton, who attended most of these nerdy displays with me and owns a furry Chewbacca backpack. I want to be you.

1 comment:

  1. Cuz, it must be in the blood - I LOVE Harry Potter AND the Hunger Games - I totally agree it is going to take off!! I've only read the first one, but have the 2nd and 3rd to take to the beach!

    ReplyDelete