11.30.2010

Meet My iTunes Library

I can be a little obsessive about my iPod. Every song has to have a corresponding artist, album, and genre.  Preferably an album image. I also went through a period of time when I felt sorry for my songs that had never been listened to. Yes, I felt sorry for them. Like they were people. (I have since passed this stage, but it still pains me just the teeniest bit when I come across a song that has never been listened to. During this bizarre period of my life, I went on a rampage of constantly listening to my iPod on shuffle with the goal of letting all 982 songs have their moment in the spotlight. You know, to make sure no song was left behind or got its feelings hurt.

My friends often got to (had to) listen to the resulting hodgepodge of songs that resulted from my shuffle rampages. And I got made fun of.  I still get made fun of.  Read the list of songs below and you'll understand why. These are the 21 songs that popped up when I put my iTunes on shuffle:

Another Christmas Song--Stephen Colbert (Yes, he has a Christmas song)
Hold On--Michael Buble
Redneck Yacht Club--Craig Morgan
If U Seek Amy--Britney Spears
Santa Baby--The Pussycat Dolls
Bare Necessities--Phil Harris and Bruce Reitherman (The Jungle Book)
Mamma Mia--Donna and Company (Mamma Mia! the musical)
Gold Digger (Glee Cast Version)--Glee Cast
California--Phantom Planet
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious--Mary Poppins
True Colors (Glee Cast Version)--Glee Cast
Ridin Solo--Jason DeRulo
The Way You Look Tonight--Tony Bennett
Is It Any Wonder?--Keane
Someday--Sugar Ray
Juan Loco--Rodrigo y Gabriela
Never Gonna Leave This Bed--Maroon 5
Love Story--Taylor Swift
Keep On--Tyler Hilton
I Want You Back--NSYNC
I Heard It Through The Grapevine--Marvin Gaye

There are a few things you can deduce from my music tastes based on this list:
1. I am not normal.
2. I really like Christmas music. In fact, I have an entire iPod (circa 2001) that I have officially deemed "The Christmas iPod."  362 Christmas songs = perfection. I usually start listening to the Christmas iPod in October. Which brings us back to #1, I'm not normal.
3. Glee completes me.
4. The artists of the 1990s are alive and well in my iTunes library. I own "NOW" albums #2-13.  I also have "Totally Hits," the attempted rival of "NOW" that failed. (However, I wouldn't have TLC's "Scrubs" without this album, so I for one am grateful for the existence of Totally Hits.) 
5. I love love loooove soundtracks.  Musicals, movies, TV shows, whatever. Love them.
6. I have a separate genre for Disney music. Do you ever get tired of Angela Lansbury singing "Beauty and the Beast"? I don't. My favorite random Disney song to sing along to on long car rides used to be The Spectrum Song. Listen and you'll feel sorry for my family. I still know all the words so feel free to ask me to karaoke.
7. The Rat Pack is not just for my mother to enjoy. Dean Martin, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra.  SWOON. I think I would have been so good at living during that era. I include Michael Buble in that category, too. He's an honorary member, just born in the wrong decade like me.
8. I will always be a fan of the original boy bands: NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, LFO, Hanson. None of this Jonas nonsense. (Although I must confess, I think I have one or two Bieber and Jonas songs on my iTunes.  I have no idea how they got there.) My childhood was the peak of boy band perfection.
9. For every 1 song that is somewhat current on my iTunes, there are about 10 songs that are old school and out-dated.
10. True country music fanatics think I'm a poser country fan. It's pretty much true.
11. I have random songs in different languages. My friend Megan used to get tired of me singing along to every single song on the radio so she tried to find Spanish songs I couldn't understand. I learned the words to those, too. Well actually, I made up the words but it sounded right to me. Megan loved that.

My favorite bands really are quite normal: Tyler Hilton (sigh), Maroon 5, Taylor Swift, John Mayer, Coldplay, etc. But these normal people get lost in the madness of my iTunes library that now has 2,172 songs. Since my iPod is an old nano 4G, it can only hold about 700 of my songs. So I have gone through the very painful process of choosing just exactly which songs I want on my iPod, therefore camouflaging my music taste so people who scroll through my iPod THINK I'm normal. But no. All you need to do is look at my iTunes to see that is not the case. Then again, I've probably already proven my non-normal status through examples of my celebrity stalking and mayonnaise binges.

The good news about my iTunes on shuffle: it always keeps people guessing. Then again, we all probably have those songs on our iTunes that people wouldn't understand. We're all kind of closet freaks when it comes to some of our music choices. Am I right? Can I get an amen?

No comments:

Post a Comment