11.14.2010

Celebrities Make Me Nervous

You know those moments when in your head you're thinking "Stop talking...stop talking...stop talking...you're going to embarrass yourself" but your mouth just keeps prattling on? And what always happens? You embarrass yourself. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I envy you. And if you do know what I'm talking about, I feel your pain.

I tend to talk too much when I'm nervous. What makes me nervous? A number of things. The most recent of these unnerving things that got me into trouble: celebrity encounters. I just don't know what to say to famous people. I don't want to talk to them about the same thing that every other crazed fan talks about. So I try to be unique and quirky. Instead, my nervousness sends my mouth on a rampage and I just end up looking like the most crazed of all the crazed fans.

Example: This week I went to a Tyler Hilton concert. He is my all-time favorite artist. I'm obsessed. Tyler isn't too mainstream. This is part of why I love him. But it also means that a lot of you reading this probably don't know who Tyler Hilton is. Since he's not some huge celebrity who's in the tabloids every other day I really shouldn't have been that nervous when I met him after the concert. But I was. In fact, I was so nervous that I was literally shaking. I even asked Tyler's bodyguard what I should use as an opening line. The bodyguard just laughed and shook his head at me. Not helpful.

Before I had time to brainstorm my brilliant and charming opening comment, the moment was upon me. I don't remember much of what I said, but I do remember that I just talked and talked and talked...and talked. I'm pretty sure the majority of this talking made me sound like a complete loon. Highlights of the conversation included:

(as I'm walking up, he can apparently already tell that I'm a little too excited)
Tyler: "Wow! You're really enthusiastic"
Becky: "Well YEAH!" (followed by lots of nervous giggles)

(while posing for a picture together)
Becky: "I really am 21 years old. I just act like a 5 year old."

Tyler: "Do you want to sign up for my e-mail list?"
Becky: "Oh sure! I pretty much already stalk you in every other way possible."
(Explanation: I follow him on Twitter, "like" him on Facebook, subscribe to his YouTube channel, and look at his website every so often. Some might call that stalking. I like to call it being a really dedicated fan. I'm sure everyone reading and Tyler Hilton himself are going to choose to call it stalking. And you're probably right.)

Luckily I don't come in contact with celebrities often. As in, I never come in contact with celebrities. The only other famous people I can remember meeting are Shannon Miller and Peggy Fleming (who I met through a fence after a Champions on Ice performance when I was 8).

Maybe I just need more practice socializing with celebs  Is it an acquired skill? Well anyway, it's fair to say I definitely don't have that skill just yet. Here's hoping my next celebrity encounter is a little less creepy-stalkerish!

And a special note to Tyler: Sorry for being incapable of holding a real conversation in your presence. I really can be a fun, normal person. Apparently just not around you.

Becky is thinking: "Oh my gosh Oh my gosh Oh my gosh Oh my gosh!!!!!"
Tyler is thinking: "This girl is a complete nut job."

P.S. This is my fav Tyler song ever. If you haven't heard it before, you need to.



1 comment: